News and Information
How to Join
Monthly Safety Brief
The General Curtis E. LeMay Offutt Composite Squadron was originally chartered on 1 December 1956 as the Offutt Composite Squadron under the command of Louis A. Vance. General Curtis E. LeMay, former Commander Strategic Air Command and later Chief of Staff of the United States Air Force, presented the first charter to the squadron. The squadron was rechartered before 1960 as the Offutt Cadet Squadron until 24 March 1987 when the unit was renamed the Offutt Composite Squadron. In an effort to provide a link to the past, the squadron was once again renamed to the General Curtis E. LeMay Offutt Composite Squadron in 2003. In honor of the squadron's 50th anniversary, Nebraska Governor Dave Heineman signed a proclamation designating December 3-9 2006, as Curtis E. LeMay Offutt Composite Squadron Civil Air Patrol week in Nebraska. The squadron is one of several units in the Nebraska Wing, which fall under the responsibility of the North Central Region in Civil Air Patrol.Click here to see a list of the squadron's past Commanders.
The squadron's awards include the Arthur C. Stortz Victory Award (Nebraska Wing Squadron of the Year) in 1958, 1960, 1961, 1973, 1986, 2000, 2007, 2010, and 2011; and the Carl B. Lang Memorial Award (Runner up for Nebraska Wing Squadron of the Year) in 1959, 1966, 1995, 2006, and 2012. The squadron received four Unit Citations for the periods 1956-1966, 1973, 1975, and 1986. The unit also received Squadron of Merit Citations (top cadet program in the state) in 1990, 2004, and 2012. In addition, the Squadron won the North Central Region Squadron of Distinction Award for 2009 (top cadet program in the region). As of 2017, the squadron won the Quality Cadet Unit Award designating it as one of the top performing cadet units in the nation based upon standard metrics every year since 2010. The unit is only 1 of 12 units nationwide that can claim that achievement.
The squadron's drill teams have represented the unit well throughout the unit's history. The earliest known drill competition that the squadron participated in was the 1959 Region Competition where the squadron's Female Cadet Drill Team received first place. Squadron members also participated as part of the consolidated Nebraska Wing Drill Team on several occasions, competing at region level, and at National Cadet Competitions in 1990 and 1991. The squadron's combined drill team won first place at the Nebraska Wing Drill Competition four times, 1974, 1987, 1992, and 2014. The squadron's 1992 Drill Team won the wing, region, and placed 7th in the nation.
The Squadron's Color Guard Team has won the Nebraska Wing Color Guard Competition 12 times (1996, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014). The color guard team went on to win the North Central Region Competition six times (2004, 2005, 2008, 2011, 2013 and 2014). The 2004 Color Guard Team placed 5th in the Nation. In 2013 the team placed third in the nation. The squadron placed second in the nation at the National Cadet Competition three times (2005, 2008, and 2011), which to date is the highest ever finish for the North Central Region at the National Color Guard Competition.
Members of the unit have excelled as individuals as well. Nine cadets members of the squadron received the highest cadet award, the General Carl A. Spaatz award.Click here to see a list of the squadron's Spaatz cadets. In 1967, it was outstanding for a cadet to obtain Cadet Lieutenant Colonel through a certificate of proficiency, but for Cadet Karla Wentzel it was exceptional. She was the second female cadet in Civil Air Patrol to obtain this rank. Numerous cadets have graduated from one of the Military Academies. Click here to see a list of the squadron's US Military Academy students.
Among the Squadron's former cadets, the most distinguished is Air Force Academy graduate General Michael E. Ryan, who served as the Chief of Staff of the United States Air Force from October 1997 - September 2001. Five senior members of the squadron earned the highest senior member award, the Gill Robb Wilson Award.Click here to see a list of the squadron's Gill Robb Wilson seniors.
Members from the squadron have competed at the national level numerous times over the years but had never won at that level. That was until 2013, when Captain Frank D'Angelo was honored as the 2013 National Drug Demand Reduction Officer in Civil Air Patrol honoring him as the best in the nation.
As part of the Civil Air Patrol program, the cadets have opportunities to fly. Several cadets have gone beyond just flying in aircraft, to earning their solo wings for flying in an aircraft by themselves.Click here to see a list of the squadron's solo cadets.
Each summer, hundreds of cadets from eighteen nations come together to broaden their understanding of aviation and foreign cultures through the International Air Cadet Exchange (IACE). Over the years, the squadron has sent members to other countries as well as hosted IACE cadets.Click here to see a list of the squadron's members who have participated in IACE and the countries that have visited Nebraska and were hosted by members from the squadron.
Over the years the squadron has seen many homes. From 1971-1975, the squadron was located in the Glenn L. Martin Company Bomber Plant in the general officer indoor pistol range. It was a large open space that was perfect for in-door drill. We built our first Heath-kit radio there and erected a 35 foot dipole on the roof of the building. The squadron then moved to a building across from the Capehart Fire Station. The next location was the Capehart Daycare facility. At this point, the entire squadron consisted of a single file cabinet, with ten cadets and three senior members. The unit commander arranged for joint facilities with the Offutt Aero Club. This area provided a great benefit as cadets could perform drill and ceremonies in-doors during bad weather. The squadron moved to its first dedicated facility, the former home of the RAF detachment in MOD B. This area provided adequate office space for senior and cadet staff administration functions as well as drill and ceremonies spaces in the hangar. Plans were announced for the destruction of MOD B and again the unit was forced to move. The squadron then obtained space in the basement of Building 49. The squadron stayed in that building for over 20 years. Then in July 2006 the squadron moved into the old base chow hall and post office, building 404. In July 2016, the squadron moved into our current home in building 44. Building 44, built in 1893, is the oldest building on Offutt Air Force Base and was originally the Fort Crook Blacksmith Shop.